Awning Care and MaintenanceSeptember 19, 2012
Vermont’s fall weather has arrived! Perhaps you are wondering what maintenance you need to do for your awning. Relax Otter Creek Awnings are more or less worry-free and don’t require a lot of maintenance.
As of October 25, 2012 we are proud to recommend Seventh Generation products to clean your awnings.
Here are some quick tips to extend the life of your awning and protect it for future use.
- Cleaning: Don’t wait until the awning is too dirty to clean. Wash the awning by brushing lightly with a cloth or soft brush. Use a solution of lukewarm water (at least a gallon) and Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent or Dish Liquid, found in the supermarket. You can add 1 cup of bleach to the solution to kill mildew (don’t worry, we’ve tested this ourselves).
- More Cleaning: Wipe down the frame and hood with a sponge and Seventh Generation Natural All Purpose Cleaner.
- Repair: Have a small rip or tear… Usually they can be handled on site with a repair tape manufactured specifically for different types of fabric.
- Storage: Remove the valance of the awning and store it for the winter so it does not get weather-beaten To remove: use a screwdriver to take off the plastic end cap of the front bar. Loosen the screws inside the track on each end of the valance, using a screwdriver or an allen wrench depending on the type of screw. Slide the valance out of the track and replace the end cap. Be sure to store the screws from the track in a safe place. ROLL the awning up to store in the garage or the basement; Important…do NOT remove the pvc piping from the hem of the valance to fold it because this piping is much harder to get back into the valance when springtime comes.
- New Fabric: If your awning needs to be recovered we have a special savings offer of 20% off FABRIC RECOVERS for retractable deck & window awnings and stationary canopies. Hurry though because this offer ends 9/30/2012.
If you have other questions about the care or maintenance of your awning, please call or email us. We are here to help.
Toll Free: 888-284-4680 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org